Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Getting Fit....sort of

A few weeks ago my friend Shanna introduced me to a great little app called My Fitness Pal. We've been chatting about how we really want to get rid of the 'baby weight' and change our eating habits. She told me that she had been using this app for a little while and really loved it. I thought "what the heck...can't hurt right?".

I've been pretty good about logging on every day using my phone and keeping within my calorie goal, but yesterday I may or may not have gone slightly over. You see, it was one of those days where I had all 3 kids at home and thought 'how are we going to fill our day?'. I already had Cheeseburger Soup in the crockpot so I felt like I had all the time in the world. Then I remembered it had been a while since I had made some yummy cinnamon buns. Well, that was it. I had to do it now! And when they're as easy as they are to make, how can you not?!? I'll share the recipe below, but for now, have a drool over these pictures...
There may be one missing....
Was snapping this pic of Leah with our completed project as Josh reached up and put his hands on them. haha!
Nothing to do with cinnamon buns....I just can't help but snap shots of my baby girl!

Despite this yummy treat it seems that I'm down 5.5lbs! Don't know how that happened, but I guess I really have been better with my food choices. It's ok to treat yourself once in a while, right? :)

Cinnamon Buns – (Bread maker) - a friend of ours from church gave us this recipe after delivering these sweet treats to us when Erika was born!

1 cup warm water
1 egg (whisk into the water with a fork)
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
1 ½ tsp salt
3 ½ cups white bread flour (or regular works too)
2 tsp yeast

Put bread machine on dough setting.
After the dough is ready in the bread machine – roll it out into a rectangle (about 12 X 18).
Spread softened butter on the dough – ¼ cup or so (whatever you like)
Sprinkle about 1/3 cup of brown sugar over the butter
Shake cinnamon on top of the brown sugar. (you will just get to know how much of all this you like – I never measure it – just put it on depending day)
Roll up dough starting with one of the long ends of the rectangle.
Once it is in a roll – cut into 20 even circles.
Place onto lightly greased cookie sheet(s). I use an 11 X 17 one with a short lip on the edges. Then I can fit 4 across and 5 down and when they rise they fill out to fit the whole pan.
Cover with paper towel.
Let them rise in a warm spot for about an hour. (I turn the oven on to 150 til it is heated then turn it off before putting the buns in to rise.)
Bake at 350 for 12 – 14 minutes.
When they are nearly cool (or whenever you get around to it) drizzle them with 1 cup of icing sugar mixed with about 1 tbsp of milk and a ¼ tsp of vanilla. Just get a good texture for drizzling – not to thick, not to thin.

2 comments: