Thursday, February 10, 2011

Not so sleepy Miss Charlotte

Another friend of mine had her first baby just over 2 weeks ago. Little Miss Charlotte was overdue, but tipped the scales at just under 7lbs. I had the chance to meet her on Monday and I couldn't believe how tiny she looked compared to Erika who is just over 2 months old!

Charlotte's mommy had warned me that she was not your typical 'super sleepy' baby and liked to eat often. When it came time for her pictures she had just been fed (which is usually the perfect way to get baby to sleep) and should have been ready to go, but instead as soon as her mommy put her down she started to get very upset. Her poor mommy had to feed her several times off and on and she still wasn't too happy about having her pictures taken. Instead of forcing her to sleep we just went with the flow and snapped a few shots of her where she was most comfortable - on mommy. We did manage to get a few shots of her looking peaceful.

In somewhat related news, you may have noticed on my Facebook fan page that I mentioned I'd be doing some 'birth photography' in June. I am SO excited about this opportunity! I've never been in a delivery room (other than obviously when I had my own kids) so that is exciting in itself. But the fact that I'll be capturing a baby's first moments is just cool to me!

Quite a few of you have asked about 'birth photography' since my posting a few days ago. I think one of the best responses was from my sister who said 'what is this digustingness?' or something to that effect. Birth photography, in my opinion, is not a graphic/gorey/weird thing. Instead, I am looking to capture the moments leading up to the birth (the waiting, anticipation and yes, sometimes the uncomfortable faces due to contractions) and babies first moments (mom holding her baby for the first time, etc). There will be absolutely no pictures from the foot of the bed. These are meant to be pictures that you would look back at and remember how beautiful (and yes, sometimes painful) the experience was.

Maybe birth photography isn't your thing, but who doesn't love a squishy, sleepy newborn? I'm always up for a newborn shoot but it's best to do them before the baby is 2 weeks old. If you are pregnant please be sure to contact me right away for your baby's first photos and we'll set up a date (and yes, it's flexible because we all know babies never come on time! lol!).



1 comment: