Sunday, February 21, 2010

Update on J

I'm home from the hospital for a few minutes to have a quick shower, grab some more clothes and have lunch with L. Hubby has swapped spots with me and is looking after J. Just wanted to give a quick update because I know that a lot of people have questions and want to know what is going on. J has now been in the hospital since Thursday night (3 nights). We have had some AMAZING nurses, some of which we had the last time we were in the hospital (before Christmas). God has really worked out their shifts well because the really supportive nurses have been there during the day when we've needed them the most. The days have kind of blended together in my memory so I can't really say when certain events have happened, but I can say that the following has been done since Thursday night: - bloodwork (came back normal) - ultrasound on the abdomen (came back normal) - echo cardiogram (not sure of the results yet) Prior to this hospital visit J had a barium swallow done that showed severe reflux. When J woke up yesterday I immediately started to record each and every single puke. He woke at about 6:30 yesterday morning and when you factor in naps, feeds, etc (times that he doesn't puke anyway) he was awake for about 9 hours. In that 9 hours, we recorded over 40 pukes. No, that's not a typo. I said over 40. His day nurse was astounded by this. Thankfully she was in again as his day nurse today when the Paediatrician came in to give updates and check in. Yesterday I explained to the nurse how frustrated I was with the whole situation and that I was not leaving the hospital without a solid answer as to why this is happening and more importantly, what we can do to help him. Praise God she agreed to be in the room with me when the Paediatrician came in this morning because I needed the extra moral support. When the Paediatrician came in this morning I laid it all out for her. I cried through my words, but I got it all out. I told her EVERYTHING that I wanted to say. Again she told me that kids like J will puke until they are 1-2 years and basically as long as he's gaining weight she's happy. I flat out told her, 'that's not good enough for me'. I want more testing done to determine what is wrong with J. Again she tried to tell me that we knew what was wrong with him, but I explained that this has been going on for 6 months (his whole life) and we've tried every stinkin thing in the book at home and I KNOW as a Mom that there is something more to it than this. So....we're doing the barium swallow again. This time it sounds like we're going to do a more thorough one where they look at him again after a few hours. Sounds like they are also going to do a head ultrasound (unless that's just what I heard due to lack of sleep, etc). Not sure why the heck they're doing that, but I'll ask them when I go back today. Anyway, that's where we're at. Need to have my shower and spend some time with my girl while I'm home. She's missin Mommy and her little J. If you're feeling like visiting, please do because well...it does get lonely :), but please call first (our room at the hospital or the house) because we can only have 2 people in the room at a time. For now we are the only ones in the room and J isn't contagious (obviously. lol!) so you don't have to worry about catching anything. Also, visitors have to be healthy and over the age of 18. Visiting hours are from 2pm - 8:30pm. Thank you again for your prayers and concern! God has definitely been changing me lately and we continue to seek Him in this. He has given me especially the words to say to the right people and they in turn have rallied behind us to provide the best care for J possible.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Tara, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Please let me know if there is anything we can do. If you could text me the number at the hospital so that I can arrange a time to come and visit, I would really appreciate it. Hugs and kisses - Jenna xo

    ReplyDelete